NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
An electric bicycle battery has been determined to be the cause of a building fire in New York City, officials said Monday, making it the latest blaze caused by lithium-ion batteries used to power bicycles and bicycles. electric scooters.
The New York Fire Department said the battery was charging at a bike shop when the fire started in Queens just before 2 p.m. at a three-story mixed-occupancy building.
The fire spread to the second floor of the structure, the FDNY said.
More than 100 firefighters responded and two were slightly injured and taken to hospital. The fire was extinguished at 5:10 p.m.
Electric bicycle batteries have been responsible for several fires across the city in recent weeks.
A fire on May 2 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, was determined to be caused by lithium-ion batteries from an electric scooter repair company.
In April, electric bicycle batteries caused four fires in 24 hours that injured several people, officials said.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The FDNY recommends using only manufacturer-supplied charging cords and immediately disconnecting the battery if it overheats and keeping it away from flammable objects.